Is Greece Planning to Print Energy?

Can these new Greek gods (minus the ties) conjure energy from thin air?

Over the past couple of months the story keeping many people on the edge of their seats has been the ongoing dilemma of Greece's detested debt burden, its Great Depression-worthy 25% contraction of its economy, and its voluntary or even forced withdrawal from the eurozone – the fabled "Grexit."

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://fromfilmerstofarmers.com/is-greece-planning-to-print-energy/

Well said.

But left unsaid: what does this suggest about current government policies aimed at maximizing population growth? Norway has energy because it has few people - use third-world immigration to jam in a hundred million more and not so much. And Greece is also pushing to maximize immigration….

You can’t say what you just did without addressing policies aimed at maximizing population growth. You mention Japan: before WWII the Japanese government deliberately ignited a population explosion (that’s why they entered WWII - they were running out of resources and had to invade and colonize other lands). After WWII the Japanese fertility rate fell, and they developed a high standard of living through manufacturing skill - but other countries with cheaper labor are muscling in on this, and they are still left with like 130 million people because of past pro-population growth policies. How much better the long-term prospects of Japan would be if it were more like New Zealand, yes?

The rich have instituted a virtual ban on talking about population growth (the better to have a free hand to maximize it, and to avoid taking responsibility for the resultant poverty). But really, it’s time to face up to reality. Resources matter.

Population growth is a serious matter and significantly under-reported, but for those that do talk about it, I have a hard time remembering anybody relating it to our monetary system. You mention that “current government policies [are] aimed at maximizing population growth.” I can’t see how that can ever change so long as we have the imperative for growth, which is largely dependent on, as mentioned in the post, the need to create more loans to pay off the interest on previous ones. How can government policies, subservient to business-as-usual economic imperatives, be anything but pro-population-growth when the monetary system dictates the need for continual growth? In other words, while you say that “You can’t say what you just did without addressing policies aimed at maximizing population growth,” I’d add that we can’t talk about population growth without talking about our monetary system.

About Norway and oil, well, Denmark also has few people but doesn’t have the oil that Norway does. In the opposite sense, Nigeria has nearly 200 million people but is nonetheless a major oil exporter (granted, your average Nigerian consumes much less oil than your average Norwegian, but that’s another story).

And of course, Japan would be in a much better position if it had the population levels of New Zealand (where I currently am for the time being), which, as far as I remember, has something like fourty sheep for every person. Or in other words, a low population-to-land ratio.

Breeding is another type of growth that is unsustainable. It seems we are about as clever as the wildebeest in a good spring.

Nice work Allan

Less cleverness, more wisdom.