How a (False?) Flag Debate and a Rent-a-Prime-Minister Assisted New Zealand in Relinquishing its Sovereignty

The candidates in New Zealand's follow-up rent-a-Prime-Minister flag referendum

Chances are that unless you live in or are from New Zealand (or perhaps Australia), that you didn't hear much, if anything, about New Zealand's recent referendum on whether or not to replace its 114-year-old flag. To be honest I found its flag a bit odd when I first visited ten years ago (to WWOOF for a year), and not just because it has a Union Jack on it. For while being blue with a Union Jack in the top-left corner, the only difference between it and the Australian flag is that it has four red stars instead of six white stars. Being Canadian it's not as if I had anything invested in the outcome, but when I heard last year that New Zealand's flag might be replaced, I was rather pleased to hear so. But naïve me, what I didn't clue into was how a mere flag change could be a smokescreen for more pressing matters.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://fromfilmerstofarmers.com/how-a-false-flag-debate-and-a-rent-a-prime-minister-assisted-new-zealand-in-relinquishing-its-sovereignty/

Note: Apologies for my disappearance from this From Filmers to Farmers blog, but I had an unfortunate mishap occur that didn’t allow me to post to the site. That’s fortunately now out of the way, and I’m finally back to regularly unscheduled posting. Enjoy!

Allan! You’re back!! What kept you! Peak oil has gotten so bad, that peakers are now trying to define it as both higher production and low prices forever!! Good thing none of the bad stuff everyone was envisioning back when you left came to fruition!

Now, how has life in New Zealand been, otherwise known as “when you depend on the Chinese for your economic health, you get what the Chinese want to give you”…something similar to what the Europeans learned about Russian natural gas, until the US came along and began to help out. Any way we can help out the Kiwi’s as well, with the US’s abundant resources?

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/European-Natural-Gas-Prices-Collapse.html

Sure, New Zealand is somewhat dependent on China to keep growth going, but so is Australia and others. Kiwis are a rather resourceful bunch being so separated from the rest of the world (as I see it), so although resource shortages will hit them as they will everybody else, I imagine they’ll pull through better than most (as far as that goes).

And “the US’s abundant resources”? I see you’re continuing to enjoy the party while the bottom of the barrel gets scraped, eh?

Perhaps you missed the newest expectations of the experts, but the US is on course to become a net energy exporter in 2018 according to the EIA. Nothing like some happy news in the western hemisphere to offset the slowdown in the Chinese economy and the other economies that slow down with it.

But more about you, you really weren’t just gallivanting around in Kiwi land to be a protester were you? Learn anything new about farming, or make any great breakthroughs for the film industry, or at least had a jolly good time traveling and experiencing this post peak world where cheaper fuel prices have been the norm since you took a break?

Yeah, I suppose if you pay attention to all the industry shills who spout whatever is needed in order to keep stock prices from bursting and the masses happy, then yeah, everything’s peachy keen I suppose. Saudi America is what they call it I think.

Take a look at those who don’t take payoffs to recite the required scripts and you’ll get a different picture though. Peak Oil Barrel is a good example. According to Ron, US supplies are hitting their second peak right about now.

And no, nothing that exciting for me this time in Kiwi-land. Just a lot of time spent at various libraries.

EIA? Industry shills? They were the ones busy UNDERESTIMATING the shale revolution previously, and the people who pay them are the taxpayers of the US. Fortunate indeed that they are no payoffs involved at all. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with their mandated objectivity, political independence and ability to predict current global oil and liquids production today, from a decade ago!! Talk about a track record compared to peakers! A decade ago peakers thought peak had already happened!! Oops.

Anyway, peak oil barrel is Ron, and he was one of those forced to flee The Oil Drum when those involved began to be the punchline of jokes at professional meetings, Ron had no fear in this regard, not being one of those professionals, but even you know Allan that recycled bad ideas is just recycling bad ideas, be they from the Oil Drum, Malthus or Ehrlich. As best I can tell Ron doesn’t even understand or utilize the most basic price and demand responses in any of his work, perhaps one of the reasons why the real professionals and experts at the EIA didn’t fall for the last peak oil claim Ron was involved in? Talk about generating some street cred there, when everyone was screaming peak, they held their ground. And were right. That isn’t proof of shiillery, but competence. I think all the peakers have been discredited in this regard at this point.

But some are being pretty funny, did you know Gail, another refugee from the implosion of TOD, is trying to make the point that peak oil is now about more production and low prices? I know, talk about crazy!!

But I’m road tripping the US this holiday weekend, with gasoline prices the cheapest they have been in a decade. If this is peak oil, all I can say is PLEASE SIR!!! CAN I HAVE SOME MORE!!!

All I hear is a one-trick-pony repeating the same thing over and over again. This blog (and this post) touch on much more than oil supplies, but that’s all I ever see you commenting on, and all you do is re-hash the same, staid oil arguments, and if you want to see my replies to them, go back and read my replies to your previous comments.

This time, however, you’ve thrown in Malthus and Ehrlich, solidifying yourself as a cornucopian that I take it doesn’t believe in limits. Unless, that is, you do believe that oil supplies will in fact peak at some point in the future, but that’s something that you’ve repeatedly refrained from confirming. How about it Johnny? Care to enlighten us as to what year or decade or century or millennium or eon you think oil supplies will peak, or would that be too much reality for you?

Allan, you are right, Ron is a bit of a one trick pony, peak yesterday, peak today, peak tomorrow. But we can’t hold that against him ALL the time can we, once in the pile with the crazies, always in the pile with the crazies.

My views on Malthus and Ehrlich don’t indicate cornucopia, as a ex-scientist I am all about empirical data and hypothesis, and noting that the data they used to draw wrong conclusions is nothing more than a factual observation. You are aware that the world didn’t collapse the way they hoped for, right? You have grown up, based on your age, in the time of mass starvation and dieoff and the sun being blotted out by pollution, if you buy into Ehrlich’s conclusions. Can you explain how he can be both someone who’s opinions are worthy of consideration, based on your personal experience with these horrors? Or…could you not find these horrors any more than the rest of us…thereby proving my point as to the validity of his conclusions?

As far as peak oil timing, it is irrelevant, because peak oil is only one variable of a 2 variable equation, and they move in relation to each other. Here is an expert, a real expert mind you (not the kind of circular logic of oil-amateurs apply to only supply issues) who makes quite the point that you are focused on the wrong side of that equation. Based on my personal experience with transitioning to the new transport world, I would venture she has it far more correct than any reference you are familiar with.

Your system won’t allow me to post the link, but stop in at resilience.org, look up Amy Jaffe and peak demand, try and think about this topic rather than just repeating what you’ve learned from oil-amateurs and bloggers with zero experience with the trifecta of specialties required to grasp these issues, to whit engineering/technology, geology and economics.

The system won’t let you post a link? You do it the same way you did it three comments ago. Ctrl-V.

In regards to answering your questions, I’ll do so as soon as you have the courtesy to answer my previously stated question first, and without the ad hominem sillyness, and without hiding behind the notion of “peak demand.” As I stated in the previous comment, “what year or decade or century or millennium or eon you think oil supplies will peak?,” regardless of the so-called “peak demand.” Unless you think oil supplies will increase in perpetuity.

And by the way, from what I can tell, Ron does occasionally venture into topics other than that of peak oil. On the other hand, even though this blog has broadly touched on topics such as beekeeping, agriculture, multiculturalism, money-creation, politics, film and television, humand waste, and much more, the only thing you’ve ever commented on is peak oil. Regardless, I feel honoured that having such passion about that one and only topic, you actually feel it worthy of your time to come back to this site over and over again to try and console yourself by stating the same tired points over and over again. I must be doing something right, eh!

Knowing how to post a URL wasn’t the problem, i was given an error message “word is too long” and it just wouldn’t allow the post. Until I removed the link.